For centuries various materials in the form of sheet tiles have been used to cover the surface of swimming pools. The two most popular types of sheet tiles used for swimming pools are porcelain and glass. Sheet tiles are used not only for the inside of the pool but around the perimeter of the pool as well. In comparison to the conventional plaster finish, sheet tiles are an excellent choice for swimming pools as they tend to offer a wider choices of color and patterns then plaster finishes. Sheet tiles are usually made up of smaller, 1’ x 1’, individual tiles attached to a screen backing which is usually 12” x 12” square.
Porcelain Sheet Tiles
Porcelain Sheet Tile has a stone-like quality to them, in fact, you can get Porcelain Sheet Tile that looks like marble. Porcelain Sheet Tile is a great alternative because of its density and durable. Porcelain tile is fired in a kiln at a very high temperatures. Porcelain Sheet Tile will merge with the outside environment giving a natural and earthy feel. Porcelain Sheet Tile comes in a variety of hues such as sophisticated slates to soft neutrals and can enhance the beauty of any swimming pool.
- Once porcelain Sheet Tiles are installed in your swimming pool, they last for a long time.
- Porcelain Sheet Tile is less expensive than Glass Sheet Tile.
- Porcelain is frost-proof, having a very low water absorption rate.
- Porcelain Sheet Tiles are sturdy and resistant to scratches and stains.
- Porcelain Sheet Tiles do not absorb heat and therefore make a great option for waterline and pool deck pavement.
- Porcelain Sheet Tiles can stand up well to cold temperatures found outdoors.
- Textured Porcelain Sheet Tiles blend beautifully with the surrounding landscape and give your swimming pool a daring vibe, while glazed porcelain provides bold and striking accents.
- Their installation is labor-intensive.
- They can be more costly as compared to pool finishes. But despite these disadvantages, porcelain remains the most popular choice for swimming pools.
Glass Sheet Tiles
Glass Sheet Tiles have been used for swimming pools for hundreds of years to produce beautiful artistic visual effects from the sun shining through the water and reflecting off the glass tiles. Glass Sheet Tiles are used in swimming pools and spas for their incredible colors and texture choices that are offered. They are frost proof, and non-porous, making them an excellent choice for swimming pools. Glass Sheet Tiles are also resistant to discoloration, fading, and staining. Some glass tiles are also anti-slip and can be used even in the outside area of the swimming pool. Glass tends to reflect the natural beauty of water, complementing perfectly with the outside of the pool. You can enjoy the wonderful play of colors from various angles, whether you are swimming or not. Glass tiles of different colors and types can be assembled together to create unique appearances and effects in the pool. Blended Glass Sheet Tiles also hide dirt and leaves that get into the pool. There are three different types of glass products used in the manufacturing of glass tiles.
Cast glass is produced under the temperature of 1600 degrees Fahrenheit by pouring liquid glass into molds where it solidifies. When cast glass cools and hardens, it shows stained effects and multicolored patterns.
Fused glass is produced by heating between 1023- 1599 degrees Fahrenheit and fusing two or more sheets of glass until they are hot enough to stick together. They are then cooled and acquire a uniform color throughout. Sheets of glass are commonly used for windows, windscreens, and transparent walls. Mosaic chips are cut from the sheet glass and are painted on one side using heat or cold applied method.
- In comparison to Porcelain Sheet Tiles, Glass Sheet Tiles are more colorful, and have a glossier surface.
- They are frost proof, resist heat and UV rays.
- They can withstand abrupt temperature changes.
- Glass Tiles are resistant to molds and mildews.
- Glass tiles are water-resistant, which means water cannot penetrate them and loosen the tiles. You also don't have to worry about the grime sinking into the tile.
- You can create an illusion of depth with Glass Sheet Tiles that gives an opulent touch to your pool.
- Glass tiles are made from recycled glass materials, making them eco-friendly.
- Glass mosaics can be adapted for curved surfaces.
- One of the most significant disadvantages of Glass Sheet Tiles is the price.
- Glass Sheet Tiles requires an experienced installer, therefore, should only be installed by a professional. If not carefully laid, the adhesive can show through the tile. Therefore, do not install the Glass Sheet Tile yourself and instead hire an expert as the cost of the material is so high that you don't want to take any risk.
- They are resistant to stains but vulnerable to scratches, which can mar the look of the tiles.
- If broken, glass mosaic tiles are costly to repair.
Tiling your pool is not for everyone. The biggest drawback is cost, both in terms of material and labor. However when used effectively in a splendid design, Porcelain or Glass tiles can elegantly transform your ordinary swimming pool into a magnificent artistic masterpiece. You can enhance your simple pool in the backyard with these magnificent tiles in a sweeping array of designs and colors and enjoy the vibrant effects. So bring in more fun and excitement to your swimming experience by adding colorful Porcelain or Glass tiles to your pool.